12/01/2009

I'd Wear Them: Nikes Made Out Of Junk

junk-dunk-1.jpg

Gabriel Dishaw is an artist who works primarily in the medium of junk. Like rusty metal sprockets and nuts and bolts. And among other sculptures, he creates shoes with these things.

This piece was a continuation of my previous piece JUNK DUNK (Right) I wanted to attempt this approach again, with a more refined and detailed outcome. I used very little wire and more glue to keep the piece more clean, and less bulky. I also added new details, a hinged tongue and nike logo's on both the tongue and back of the shoe. On previous models I used a real nike sole to build of off. With this piece I started from scratch and build the sole from circuit boards.

Impressive, Gabriel. But there is no doubt in my mind I could dunk in these things. And I don't care if they do cut off all my toes off and give me tetanus -- I don't like standing or talking anyways! I'm more of a lie down and type kind of guy anyways. What? YES I'M STILL IN BED.

Hit the jump for a bunch more shots plus three other Nike models Gabriel has created.

Continue Reading " I'd Wear Them: Nikes Made Out Of Junk "

May 8 2009 Man Builds Scrap Massage Chair For Wife

who wants a body massage.jpg

Lin Shuseng, too cheap to buy his wife one of those $4 battery operated personal massagers (or one of the more expensive ones that looks like a wand that women use to, you know, stir the soup), decided instead to spend 8 years building her a scrap metal massage chair to soothe her painful joints (she suffered in the meantime). Wow, Lin, that's real love right there. Also, the chair from Saw. OMG YOU'RE GOING TO KILL HER!

Chinese retiree uses scrap to create steampunk robo-massage chair [dvice]

Jul 17 2008 Had A Tetanus Shot?: More Scrap Metal Art

metal-art-1.jpg

Remember Optimus "Scrap Metal" Prime from a couple weeks ago? Well here's some more. Scrap metal art that is, not Optimus Primes. Geekologie loyalist Julian spotted some of Metal Park's work at a street fair in NYC over the weekend and took some pictures. The artists make all sorts of different characters, that's a Big Daddy from BioShock there. Hit the jump for a couple more, including a dragon, Master Chief, Boba Fett and WALL-E. If you're interested check out their website, they make more scrap metal figures than you can shake a rusty shiv at. But don't touch anything: tetanus abound. You know, these reminds me of when I was a kid and my dad would take me to the construction site to play in the scrap metal heap. Like he always used to tell me, "What doesn't kill you only makes me wish it would have". Father of the year, hands down.

Hit the jump.

Continue Reading " Had A Tetanus Shot?: More Scrap Metal Art "

Jul 2 2008 Good Looking: Optimus 'Scrap Metal' Prime

optimus-1.jpg

Being a Transformer and all, we've seen Optimus Prime in a variety of different forms. And here comes another -- scrap metal. Optimus 'Scrap Metal' Prime is made entirely out of welded metal and makes for some serious eye/tetanus candy. Made by Robot-Models, this particular Optimus stands over 7-feet tall, weighs 550 pounds, and costs a whopping $6,896. If you like the style but can't afford to drop a few grand, they also have smaller models in the several hundred dollar range (pictures after the jump). But, being the Geekologist, I had to drop for the big daddy. It arrived yesterday, and guess what my wife had the nerve to ask -- "What in the hell is that piece of junk?" She should have known better. "He's not junk" I replied, "he's an early divorce present for myself."

Hit the jump for two more pictures of this model and a couple of the smaller ones.

Continue Reading " Good Looking: Optimus 'Scrap Metal' Prime "

Aug 22 2007 Man Builds Water Chopper

water-motorcycle.jpg

Jim Garlitz, a man who runs a pizza shop in Maryland, has combined a Yamaha Virago motorcycle with an outboard engine to create, uh, this thing, the water chopper. Capable of doing 37 mph, it looks like it was invented long ago and called the jetski. It also looks like I wouldn't want to get on it. Unless I was using it as a pirating vessel to rob all the stupid tourists that rent those floating big wheel bikes at the beach. Yarr, your money and your jewels! I <3>

Man Builds Water Chopper [ubergizmo]

Link to Video

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: